We renovated and now maintain 2 old orchards at Stanmer, and are currently planting another. Our plot is also used to propagate apples, many being rare Sussex heritage varieties.
- Premises are being sought at Stanmer to increase production of juices etc made from fruit collected in Brighton & Hove that would normally go to waste.
- When group started at Stanmer: October 2006
- Number of employees – 5 regular (full or part time self employed)
- Number of volunteers – 80 regular (database of over 900)
- Partnership organisations – Action in Rural Sussex, Brighton and Hove Food Partnership, Low Carbon Trust, Brighton and Hove City Council
- Achievements – 100+ small orchards planted across Sussex in schools, and community spaces. Over 150 courses run since establishment in 2000 training over 2,500 people. Annual green Architecture Day, Apple Day and Eco Open Houses delivered in partnership. Brighton Permaculture Trust have established eco clubs and projects in over 9 local schools.
- Funding – various but most recently £300,000 from Lottery Local Food Fund and Big Tree Plant for orchard projects.
For up to date news on our projects and for details of the courses and events we run please visit our main website:www.brightonpermaculture.org.uk